Moreover, among these libraries, we have also added some libraries which we have used in our products as ThemeSelection. Now, Drag and Drop is the most used and required feature in any Web App because of its endless uses.
Table of Content
In general, Drag and Drop is an action of selecting an element, text, file, etc, and moving it is called a Drag action. Then, placing the same element into an alternative place is called a Drop action.
– Improve User Experience
– Drag and Drop Coding is more user friendly
– It Reduces Human errors
– Makes your complex feature easier
– Easy to manage complex tasks, and many more…
‘Drag and Drop’ in Programming.
As the name suggests, Drag and drop is a functionality in which the user selects an object in the section ‘Drag’, and then moves it to the desired section and places it there ‘Drop’. Now, this is the most common functionality we have been using for decades in our computers like dragging files from computer to desktop screens.
Furthermore, not only your computers but this functionality is been supported by all the major browsers. Adding a drag-and-drop functionality to your app has become very easy because of HTML5. In the past, to add this feature you need to install a separate third-party plugin to your websites.
We also recommend using the best IDE in Programming to boost your workflow. IDEs can help you work effectively and also saves you time by providing you with the best development environment.
React Beautiful DND is a beautiful and accessible drag-and-drop library for lists built on react. It provides a great set of drag-and-drop features with the natural movement of an item to give your user and natural and beautiful drag-and-drop experience.
The Open source library enables a higher level of abstraction and it is built for lists (vertical, horizontal, movement between lists, nested lists, and so on). Moreover, React Beautiful DnD also supports the Multi Drag feature in which you can drag multiple items and you can also add and remove items during Drag and Drop.
Furthermore, this library is suitable for React-based projects. Also, while working on a React project, we suggest you use React Admin Dashboard to build modern eye-catching, responsive web apps.
- Virtual List Support
- Mouse, Keyboard, and Touch Support.
- Screen Reader
- Conditional Dragging/Dropping
- Server-side rendering (SSR) compatible
- Custom Drag Handles
- Flexible Item Size and many more…
Sortable Drag and Drop Library
There are many exciting features that the library support but the best is Swap thresholds in which you can swap the items in the list when dragged, and placed in a different position which will cause the other element to drag itself.
In addition, Sortable is built using Nativ HTML 5 Drag and Drop API and supports multiple frameworks like Meteor, Angular, React, Knockout, Ember, Vue, and many more.
- Support Touch Devices and Modern Browser
- CSS Animation
- Smart Auto Scrolling
- Advanced Swap Detection
- Supports any CSS Library
- CDN, and many more…
You can play with this demo from here
Dragula: Helpful Drag and Drop Library
containers and drop it in any other container in the list by default.
In addition, you can easily move elements between the containers and within them. You can also copy the element in your container and drop it as a paste in a different container.
- Super easy to set up
- No bloated dependencies
- Figures out sort order on its own
- A shadow where the item would be dropped offers visual feedback
- Touch events!
- Seamlessly handles clicks without any configuration and many more…
React DND is an ultimate library having a set of React utilities to build complex drag-and-drop interfaces by keeping the components decoupled. It comes with an architecture that is inspired by famous React libraries like Flux and Redux.
Furthermore, It easily works with any of your components as it wraps your components and injects props into them as the same pattern is being followed in React Router and Flummox.
- It embraces unidirectional data flow
- Hides the platform quirks
- Extensible and Testable
- Touch Support
- Hooks API, and many more…
Vue Draggable Next is a Vue-based drag and drop component based on Sortable that is Vue 3 compatible. It allows you to drag and drop and synchronize with the view model array in your Vuejs projects. Furthermore, it included full support for the features of Sortable.js.
The library has no jQuery dependency and you can also reuse existing components (such as vuetify, element, or vue material, etc.) and make them draggable using
- Supports touch devices
- Supports drag handles and selectable text
- Smart auto-scrolling
- Support drag and drop between different lists
- Compatible with Vue.js 3.0 transition-group
- Cancellation support, and many more…
Also, check the Materio – Vuetify Vuejs 3 Admin Template which is the best Vue JS Admin Template.
This Vue Admin provides you with 45+ Basic & Advanced Cards for eCommerce Analytics, CRM, Statistics, and Interactive Charts.
DropZone Drag and Drop Library
Moreover, the open-source Library is developer friendly and highly customizable you can change it as per your need. It is trusted by thousands of users that you can easily get support from their GitHub discussions section or StackOverflow.
- Images Thumbnail Preview
- High-DPI Screen Support
- Multiple files and synchronous uploads
- Progress updates
- Support for Amazon S3 Multipart upload
- Browser image resizing, and many more…
React Grid Layout is a draggable and resizable Grid layout library that creates responsive Grid layouts for React. Furthermore, you can use React Grid Layout like any other component in your web application.
In addition, it features auto-packing, draggable and resizable widgets, static widgets, a fluid layout, and separate layouts per responsive breakpoint. You can also use the above demo in which you can Drag some boxes around, resize them, and resize the window to see the responsive breakpoints.
- 100% React – no jQuery
- Draggable widgets
- Configurable packing: horizontal, vertical, or off
- Bounds checking for dragging and resizing
- The layout can be serialized and restored
- Compatibility with
<React.StrictMode>, and many more…
Furthermore, if you’re working on React projects, then I would recommend using Materio MUI React Next js Admin Template, it is the most developer-friendly and highly customizable React Admin template you have ever seen.
Check the Figma Version:
It’s one of the best Admin Panel Kit you have ever seen.
In addition, draggable comes with extra additional modules like
Swappable. It does not do any kind of sorting behavior while dragging but it does the heavy lifting e.g. creates a mirror, emits events, manages sensor events, and makes elements draggable.
- Works with native drag, mouse, touch, and force touch events
- Can extend dragging behavior by hooking into the draggable event life cycle
- Can extend drag detection by adding sensors to draggable
- The library is targeted ES6 first
- Cross Browser compatibility, and many more…
By default, Interact.Js doesn’t move elements for you instead, it styles an element so that it moves while a drag happens from your event listeners. In addition, you visit their official website, where they have mentioned some interactive examples with code.
- Free and open source
- Powerful snap and restriction modifiers
- Inertial throwing
- Multiple simultaneous interactions
- Unified API for touch and mouse events
- Support for HTML and SVG, and many more…
Ng Sortable is an Open Source Drag and Drop Library that is built on Angular and supports Sortable and Draggable supports Touch devices with No jQuery used. Furthermore, it supports horizontal sorting in which Horizontal Drag and Drop can be achieved under the same library.
The Library uses ng-model to bind the sortable list items within the sortable elements and as-sortable to add the root element. Furthermore, you can also Enable/Disable drag and can control the runtime of the Drag.
- Drag both Horizontally and Vertically.
- Drag and Drop items within a column.
- Drag and Drop items across columns.
- Ranking by Sorting and Change Status by Moving.
- Hooks are provided to invoke API after a particular action.
- Clone an item and drop, and many more…
Furthermore, to quickly start with this library you will also get useful documentation including API Documentation and how to use this library.
- Support SVG Elements (SVG, path, line, ellipse, g, rect, …etc)
- Support Major Browsers
- Support 3d Transform
- Snappable, and many more…
AMD Modules with
es6 modules with
.es6m versions and has a fallback to a global namespace for maximum out-of-the-box support.
Furthermore, DragSelect uses modifier keys to make multiple independent selections and it is Hyper Customizable. It is the most lightweight library with only a 12.4 KB zip size.
- No dependencies
- Replicates operating system drag-selection in the browser
- Accessibility (a11y)
- Select, Drag and Drop also via the keyboard
- Supports all major browsers
- Supports SVG
- It supports mobile (touch interaction), and many more…
- Dynamic architecture.
- Customized and enhanced reconcile
- Prevent layout shift
- Headless and compatible with any modern JS framework.
- Animated transformation with each interaction.
- 4 types of custom events and custom layout state emitter., and many more…
The addition of HTML 5 drag and drop has made it very easier for developers to easily add this interface to their web apps. Now, the above-mentioned libraries are best to add such interfaces to your web pages without any hassle.
Moreover, it’s up to you which JS Drag and Drop library you select to add the drag and drop feature to your project. We’d always recommend choosing a library based on your need and the requirement of the project.
We’d recommend using Sortable JS Drag and Drop library as it is an easy-to-use and developer-friendly library. We at ThemeSelection have used Sortable in Sneat Bootstrap 5 HTML Admin Template, you can also check the live demo.
We hope you like this collection, kindly share it with your friends and colleagues.
Happy Coding Cheers!