Are you a beginner with ReactJS and looking for inspiration for your project? Then here is the best collection of React Project Ideas For Beginners in 2021. Before we start the list, let’s discuss react js and projects that you can make in short.
Why React projects?
There is an old saying, “practice makes perfect.” This situation is the same. Once you gain mastery over the fundamental concepts of React, you must get handsy with building React projects. Besides, In the process of developing React projects, you will learn how to develop apps that actually function.
What’s more is that when you start developing React projects, you learn which tools and React ecosystem to use for which React project. The biggest advantage of building apps with React is that once you’ve successfully deployed them, you can incorporate them into your portfolio to impress potential employers.
However, the most tricky part of the process is figuring out what React apps you should build. To help you break the ice with React project development, we’ve compiled a list of React project ideas for beginners in 2021.
How to start developing React apps?
One of the first things to remember about React project development is that it is a largely self-directed process. Unlike learning the basics of React via online tutorials and learning materials, there’ll not be much to guide you on building React projects. You’ll have to learn on a trial and error basis.
But that doesn’t mean that there’s absolutely nothing to help you learn the fundamentals of project development with React. You can find plenty of material on how to get started with React project development. Also, there are numerous online articles that teach the core steps of app development, along with the source code.
As a beginner, the task of developing React projects from scratch may seem challenging, but there’s a secret to simplifying the process – break down an application into smaller components. Try to focus on building one feature at a time, and keep connecting the dots as you go. As you continue to practice and experiment with different React tools and ecosystems, you will understand the common patterns of app development and also which tools are best for developing specific features of a React app. In case you need guidance, you can check .
You can use react admin templates like Vuexy ReactJS Admin Template for your project. It is the most developer-friendly & highly customizable React Admin Template. It is based on Create React App, Redux & Reactstrap BS.
Now, let’s start the list of React Project Ideas For Beginners..!!
Social Media App
Image Credit: https://github.com/DimiMikadze/create-social-network
The first one on the list of React Project Ideas For Beginners is social media apps. Well, the future of Social Media is amazing as Social media apps such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter, are prime examples of sophisticated apps. These apps can be a great inspiration for a React project since they have an ever-increasing number of advanced features. The best part about building a social media app using React is that you know what kind of features you must include in the app. Some of the most common features of almost all social media apps are:
- User authentication
- Posting, sharing, and commenting
- Easy integration with other platforms
- Notification and newsfeed
Basically, a social media app provides you ample scope for experimentation. After adding the most basic features (as the ones mentioned above), you can create additional features for customization that will allow end-users to tweak their profiles and accounts according to their requirements and preferences.
Technologies you can use:
- Create React App or React Native for creating dynamic UI for posts, messages, and likes.
- AWS Lambda or Firebase Functions for app notifications
- Firebase or Cloudinary storage for uploading pictures and videos
- AWS Amplify, or Firebase, or Hasura (using GraphQL subscriptions) for real-time data.
Next on the list of React Project Ideas For Beginners in 2021 is the E-commerce app. Ever since e-commerce penetrated the mainstream industry, e-commerce apps (like Amazon, Flipkart, Nykaa, etc.) have become omnipresent. These apps are now an integral part of our lives. Thus, if you build a functional e-commerce app, it will show that you have real-world skills to keep up with the latest trends in the industry. Needless to say, you will become an appealing candidate before potential employers.
Your e-commerce app can either deliver products or services. In any case, you must ensure that apart from browsing products or services, customers can enjoy seamless customer service. This is crucial for app success – all-around customer support and good customer experience are two vital elements of any successful app.
As far as app features are concerned, keep the layout and interface neat and easy-to-navigate, include the location option for deliveries, incorporate a shopping cart, and a wishlist. Make sure the checkout process incorporates the necessary authentication options (as a guest or registered user).
Technologies you can use:
- Create React App, or Gatsby are excellent choices for building the storefront that displays the products/services.
- Netlify/AWS Lambda for handling the checkout process.
- Algolia is perfect for creating a lightning-fast product search interface.
- Snipcart allows you to create a cart and also manage the cart products.
- Stripe/react-stripe-elements for managing the payment process.
- https://github.com/jgudo/ecommerce-react https://salinaka-ecommerce.web.app/
App Example: https://github.com/rawfour/weather-app-react
This is the perfect React project for beginners. It is a straightforward project – you can code it in a matter of a few hours! In this project, you have to build a weather app that can display a 5-day weather forecast. For this app, you can leverage fake, hard-coded data until you get all the features correct.
The weather app must have all the basic functions, including city name, current weather icon, temperature, humidity, wind speed, etc. It must display the recording of both high and low temperatures of each day, including apt images for sunny/rainy/cloudy/snowy weather conditions. It should have a responsive design and refresh every five minutes with the exact temperature and weather conditions.
Technologies you can use:
- Node.js and Bower are two excellent options for this app.
- You can use Gulp Task Runner and SASS CSS pre-processor.
- You can check out Erik Flowers for weather icons, and for “require” modules, you can use Browserify.
Image credit: https://github.com/sejr/react-messenger
Messaging apps and messaging services are hugely popular among netizens. As a matter of fact, messaging apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are such as big part of our daily lives, that we can’t imagine a day without them. Instant messaging is a way of life now. Even companies (big or small) rely on the power of instant messaging to provide 24×7 customer support to their customers. So, building a messaging app is one of the best ways to monetize your React skills.
When developing a mobile-based messaging app, the first thing to consider is that you have to build a platform that can facilitate a conversation between two or more people in real-time. Real-time is the key here, for it is the essence of instant messaging. You can tools like Firebase or Hasura that transport data via WebSockets to display messages immediately in a conversation. React Native is the ideal choice for this project.
Technologies to utilize:
- React Native or React Native Web are both excellent for developing mobile messaging apps and hybrid (web + mobile) messaging apps.
- Cloudinary or Firebase storage for sending/receiving messages with image or video content.
- Firebase, AWS Amplify, or Hasura for sending and receiving messages in real-time.
- npm emoji-mart package for emojis that users can include in their messages
Image Credit: https://github.com/dhruv-kumar-jha/productivity-frontend
This is one of the easiest projects on the list, and given the fact that tutorials on productivity apps are abundant, this project should be relatively easy for a beginner. As the name suggests, productivity apps are the ones that help in enhancing your productivity. Some of the most commonly used productivity apps are note-taking apps, team management apps, task list apps, time management apps, to name a few.
While these are common productivity apps, you can try building an app that offers a detailed introduction to the app development process. This is an excellent idea for a productivity app owing to the simplistic design and features that will allow users to follow the steps of app development.
While developing a productivity app, you must ask what features will simplify the daily schedule or learning schedule, and that will be your cue to start. Start with a simple feature, like a text editor for writing formatted text with markdown. After you’ve successfully developed one or two such core features of the app, gradually start expanding upon the elements. For instance, the option to save the text as individual files on the computer, to export the text markdown as HTML for writing formatted emails.
Technologies you use:
- Create React App (for web) or React Native (for mobile platforms).
- react-markdown npm package for displaying markdown in your app UI.
- react-codemirror2 npm package for writing code in the notes.
- react-draggable npm package for re-ordering list content through a click-and-drag option.
Image credit: https://github.com/kabirbaidhya/react-todo-app
You are to create a To-Do application that will encourage users not to forget their plans by simply writing them down on this application.
- Firstly, you are to provide an input field that will allow users to type in their to-do’s
- In addition, create a button that users can press to make a submission of a to-do item
- Create this application in a way users will be able to mark a to-do as completed
- In conclusion, make a to-do item removable
Image credit: https://github.com/piyush-eon/react-entertainment-hub
Our project will be much, much simpler than any of these popular apps. Choose an entertainment media that interests you the most and design your app on that. The idea is to develop an entertainment app where users can log in to view and save the content of their choice. When you have the basic features in place, you can play around with social elements that will allow users to like, share, and comment on the app’s content.
Technologies you can use:
- Create React App, Next.js, or Gatsby for the app UI.
- Algolia for searching media (names of audio tracks, movies, podcasts, etc.).
- react-player npm package for playing media.
- Cloudinary/Firebase storage for uploading media content.
Image credit: https://github.com/cfortuner/social-card
Although this is not a full-blown app, but rather a component of an app, it is a good project nonetheless. The internet is replete with numerous variations of social card UIs. You can find them on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. A social card is an ideal project idea for a beginner since it lets you practice breaking down a UI into React components. Also, social cards are the perfect visual representations where you can display images along with relevant data.
Book Finder Application
Image credit: https://github.com/kleberMRocha/BookFinderApp
The aim here is to develop an application for users to be able to find books easier by simply entering a query. For example, a query could be the author’s name or the title of the book.
- Firstly, an input field should be provided for users to be able to enter their queries for search
- In addition, design this application in a way to make users see the list of the books on screen
Image Credit: https://github.com/tvillarete/apple-music-js
What you are to do here is to make use of Spotify API to develop an application that will assist you in following the latest trends in music.
- Most importantly, the application should be built in a way to help users to be able to search for top songs, find new artists, and discover new
So, here was the list of React Project Ideas For Beginners in 2021. Develop react-based apps.
Continuous practicing will make you better at creating real-time projects with React. So you don’t stop taking on projects after completing one. Get your hands dirty with more simple projects as we all know that practice makes perfect.
Do tell us about your React-based projects in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to share this article.